Thursday, September 24, 2009

Parrot talk

About a month after my boys were born i decided to leave the house for the first time and go for a walk down the street. Being stuck in the house 24 hrs a day was driving me even crazier. I walked for about half an hour and then decided that seeing people wasn't what i needed so i started to head home. I am not an animal person at all and have never wanted pets but for some reason i walked into the pet shop on my way home and just as i was laving i seen a parrot next to the counter and asked the owner of the shop about it. He told me that she was an Eclectus parrot. She was so pretty. Then the owner told me that there was some babies out the back if i was interested. So i went and had a look and fell in love with one of them. I went home that night and couldn't stop thinking about her so i decided that i would go back the next day and have another look. Well the next day came and i still badly wanted her so i went and got the money and paid for her. I named her Zaza. I had to wait to get a licence before i could bring her home with me but i went down everyday to hand feed her give her time to get to know me better. On one of my visits to see her there was another baby there a boy who was about 3 weeks old and only had about 4 feathers. I also fell in love with him so decided to get him too. He was originally supposed to be my sisters and she named him Kermit. I think she kind of got sick of him so i took over as his mummy. I think they were the only things that kept me as sane as possible in those first few months. Zaza's birthday is 6 days before mine and Kermit's birthday is 6 days before Eli and Jett's. It really was meant to be.

I am in the process of weaning them at the moment so they aren't very happy with me. Zaza has been non stop talking since i got her home and has decided to call me Auntie Rikki even though i have tried to teach her to call me mama. They both Copy every ones laughs and even laugh at you if you trip over or hurt yourself in some other way. I love them so much.


This is both of them a few months ago. Zaza is the red one and Kermit is the green one


This is Kermit a few weeks after we got him home. He still doesnt have all of his feathers yet and has just had a feed. He is a very messy eater


And my Zaza just after one of her feeds. I swear they have a competition going between them on who can make the most mess. Zaza usualy wins these competitions.

2 comments:

Tina said...

They are adorable! xx

Mary said...

Wow they are so pretty. Their colors are so bright.