Sunday, August 2, 2009

Urns

I had really been stressing myself out about finding a perfect urn for my boys. Everything that i seen i didnt like, and i dont like that look of normal urns anyway none of them look like they should be for a baby. So anyway i was talking to a few ladys about it and one suggested to not stress myself out about it and i would find the perfect one just when i wasnt expecting it and to maybe think outside the box and think of using something that isnt actually an urn. That was probably the best advice that anyone could have given me. As it turns out i was at the jewelry shop looking for a necklace when i spotted the perfect thing to use for a urn. As i have mentioned before i had a kind of theme for the boys. An elephant and a giraffe. They were part of a noahs arc/safari theme that i had picked. I chose the safari theme because Eli and Jett are half african so i though that it fit, and i liked the noahs arc theme because there was 2 of all the animals. Well i spotted this memory/photo box in the shop and it is noahs arc themed box that you put photos on the outside and there are spaces to engrave the birthdate, weight, name and length. I completely forgot about the necklace and got the box on the spot. Now all i need to get is a bag of some sort to put their ashes into and get it engraved.



Another lady that i was talking to said that she had a huggable urn. It is a teddy bear that you put the ashes into so when ever you want you can hug them. I thought that was such a good idea and i really wanted to get one but they are from memory way over $300 and i just cant afford it. So i settled for the memory box. Today i was out looking for a mattress for my new bed when i came across this cushion. Everything about it reminds me of them. The elephant and giraffe the colours. Eli's colour is blue and Jett's colour is green. I picked colours for them because i didnt want them to match and i thought that if everything they wore was a diferent colour that i wouldnt get them mixed up because they are identicle. It turns out they didnt look anything like each other and i definantly wouldnt have got them confused for each other anyway. So i got this cushion and i was thinking about using it as a huggable urn. It has a zip so when i find a bag for their ashes that none of the ashes will fall out of i can transfer it between the cushion and memory box so i can hug them when ever i need a hug.


The toys that are next to the cushion are the toys that their nana (my mum) gave to them when they were born. They were suposed to be cremated with them but i couldnt sleep without them and didnt want to let them go so i decided to keep them for me.

And this is my little shrine to the boys. It isnt finished yet but it hopefully will be very soon. It is in my bedroom so every day when i wake up it is the first thing that i see. So as soon as i see it i am reminded of how lucky i am to have my boys even if they arent here.

Finding the cushion has made me have a happy day and hopefully i will stay like that for a while. :)
xxx

7 comments:

Tina said...

I am so happy that you found some joy Rikki. I hope it stays with you. These are all beautiful reminders of your sweet baby boys.
xx,
Tina

Mirne said...

The box is beautiful ... and how gorgeous that you can engrave their names on it.

Debbie said...

I think the box is perfect. I, too, searched and searched for the perfect urn for my daughter's ashes. I ended up settling for one, knowing that I will eventually get something different for her.
what you have chosen is perfect. <3

Mommy to Tyler & Maddy said...

Hi, I came across your blog from the Secret Garden Meeting blog. I just wanted to say that I love the box that you found and the pillow. They are both so adorable! You can tell how much you love your little boys by the care you took in picking out these things. What a wonderful mom you are. I hope your day is a joyful one!

Candace

nikki wood said...

The boxes are adorable I love them! I have themes for my babies too! My daughter is Disney Princesses and my son is Sesame Street. I have 2 bookshelves full for them, I just can't stop adding to it!

Mackenzie's Mommy said...

The box & pillow are adorable!! So happy you found something special. My theme for Mackenzie is ladybugs and I buy everything I find with ladybugs on it!

Leila's mommy said...

oh i just love the box! it's so perfect! and the pillow idea is great too. what were they thinking, charging over $300 when we could just make one ourselves?? i'm glad you found those.
i also picked out a safari theme for Leila cuz i wanted to do conservation work in africa, but i never had my baby shower so i didn't get anything. maybe i should....